I'M FINALLY HERE. After 17 hours of driving, including a 2.5 hour wait at the border to re-enter the U.S. and two absurd detours off the flooded New York Thruway, I am finally in Boston. We crashed at my grandparents' house in Beverly for the night and started the move-in process this morning.
A few things about my apartment: it's in the cutest and most convenient little neighborhood with lots of pretty buildings around it and plenty of shopping/eating/super-close subway stops, the building itself is a beautiful, classic brownstone (picture any scene from a movie set in Boston or New York), and I have 4 lovely roommates, but my bedroom is...shall we say, "cozy" and comes with the challenge of being surrounded on all sides by hot water pipes. All in all, lots of "pros" and one rather irksome "con."
We spent most of the day dragging things out of the mini-van we rented and throwing them haphazardly into my room; a process I find incredibly stressful. My dad constructed my bed and decided the best way to handle the hot water pipes would be to wrap them in towels and duct tape. I have to admit I was skeptical about this tactic, but it totally works! We took a break for lunch at Nick's Roast Beef (look, I don't even LIKE roast beef, but this place is freaking delicious) then my parents took me grocery shopping (the nicest), dropped me off and waved me good-bye.
My room is still a disaster area at this point. There are bags and suitcases and boxes sprawled across every surface. And there are duct-taped towels wrapped around the pipes all around my room. And the walls look blank and sad. And this place doesn't feel like home.
So I just started unpacking. I took each suitcase one-by-one and started sorting everything I own to new places. I unrolled my rug. I put my movies and books on the shelf under my bedside table (which I stole from the side of the street this afternoon shhh). I put my jewelry box on top of my dresser, I hung up my coats and dresses in the closet, I laid out my shoes under them, I put posters on the wall, I plugged in my lamp, and...
Oh my God. It's...it's beautiful. It's a room! It's HOME. I am so happy and so comfy and I can't wait to live here all year. Pictures soon. And tomorrow...EXPLORING.
No comments:
Post a Comment